News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: i'm i pregnant or it it menopause

xspencei - Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm 43 years old.my last period was the end of the second week of august.it was not my usual period,it did not last as long as usual,shortly after i had really bad back pain,about a week later severe stomach pain,as of today no period.there was a brownish spot earlier this afternoon,but its now gone,sometimes i feel sick,not all ways did not have morning sickness with my son 25 years ago.also when i went for a pregnancy test with my daughter 23 years ago,i was sent home being told i was not pregnant two days later they phones and said yes i was,i took a pregnanct test a week ago but it might of been early.also there are times i feel very light headed i'm not sure if i fit into early menopause as i have no night sweats just a missed period.please give me a medical idea as to what it could be,my breast are not overly tender,but when in a bra they appear slight fuller
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:51 am

User avatar Hello,
Of course there is the chance of pregnancy if you are sexually active, but you could also be in the years of perimenopause when your periods begin to vary in length, spacing, characteristics, etc. You could be ovulating inconsistently so pregnancy is still a possibility even when periods have slowed and even disappeared for a while. Not everyone experiencing menopause has unpleasant side effects such as hot flashes so this is not a good indicator. Even hormone tests are not very reliable here, though they can sometimes give clues that support the onset of menopause. You should continue to use birth control until you are well into menopause, defined as a full year of absent periods, with or without other symptoms.

The perimenopause period can last for several years. It's very inconvenient because you never know when you might expect a period so be prepared at all times. Meanwhile, repeat pregnancy tests weekly until you are quite sure you are not pregnant. The two conditions can definitely mimic each other.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here