News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Heavy bleeding before and after novasure

Nikkita77 - Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I am 31 yrs. and have bled heavy for the last 4 years. Nothing seems to help I had the Miran IUD bled heavy depo shots same thing. Now I just went to a new Dr after bleeding cont. for a month and a half very heavy and old Dr would not help me. ( 1 tampon and overnight pad in about 1 hour) New Dr advised we do a tubal and ablation/nova-sure to help. Did that the end of Aug. small polyp removed nothing to abnormal. Well it did not work I am still bleeding very heavy and not consistent with a cycle. Had a trans-abdominal and endovaginal sono done results uterus measured 8.5 x 4.1 x 5.3cm. Endometrial stripe not thickened measuring 0.8cm posterior cyst with internal echo noted posterior myometrium. Measures 0.7 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm Second cyst in posterior myometrium measures 0.6 x 0.4 x 0.7 cm right ovary is 3.1 x 2.0 x 2.8 cm with multiple follicular cysts. largest measure 1.1 x 1.0 x 1.2 cm left measures 3.0 x 1.5 x 2.3 no free fluid. Dr says this is normal. However, why I am I bleeding so much and so frequently. Any help would be great as I am at my whits end....
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like your doctor is checking for all the usual causes of this heavy bleeding. It may take a while for the effects of the hormones make a difference and in some cases they do not. There are other treatments for excessive bleeding. One that works for some women is ibuprofen. Besides helping with painful period it sometimes reduces the flow a bit also. Tranexamic acid is another treatment for heavy bleeding (in combination with hormones).

Some women have bleeding and clotting problems. Your doctor is probably watching for this also. In same cases the only relief comes once a hysterectomy is performed. I am surprised that you have not had a better response to the endometrial ablation. This is usually quite effective.

I cannot interpret the results of your ultrasound examinations but if the doctor says it is normal, this may just be a case of . There are other hormonal disorders as with the pituitary. Clotting abnormalities are sometimes the culprit. Again, I suspect your doctor has checked this out; if not, ask about it.

You also want to monitor your iron levels since anemia can result from the excess bleeding. You may need to supplement.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here