Question: Can I skip my period with Ortho Tri Clyn Lo?

oneme - Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 pm

I tried skipping my period with Ortho Tri Cycln Lo before by not taking my placebos and starting a new pack, that was disastrous.

I was reading that I can postpone it by a week by not taking the placebos and taking the 3rd week of pills from a new pack.
Is this true? Will this work?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:29 pm

There are specific brands that have received FDA approval to be used without a break for bleeding. Others work the same way but Ortho Tricyclen Lo is not labeled for this use. You should talk to the prescribing doctor to find out if it could be done. The progestin level increases with each week of the active pills so it differs from the pills with a more constant release of hormone, typical of those intended for "no period" or longer cycles (quarterly periods).

If this is something you want and it is certainly safe to do so, talk to your doctor to see if you might be a candidate for one of the alternative types that would allow you to miss 2/3 to all of your periods.

|