News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can I skip my period with Ortho Tri Clyn Lo?

oneme - Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 pm

I tried skipping my period with Ortho Tri Cycln Lo before by not taking my placebos and starting a new pack, that was disastrous.

I was reading that I can postpone it by a week by not taking the placebos and taking the 3rd week of pills from a new pack.
Is this true? Will this work?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are specific brands that have received FDA approval to be used without a break for bleeding. Others work the same way but Ortho Tricyclen Lo is not labeled for this use. You should talk to the prescribing doctor to find out if it could be done. The progestin level increases with each week of the active pills so it differs from the pills with a more constant release of hormone, typical of those intended for "no period" or longer cycles (quarterly periods).

If this is something you want and it is certainly safe to do so, talk to your doctor to see if you might be a candidate for one of the alternative types that would allow you to miss 2/3 to all of your periods.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here