Question: no period for 5 months, not PCOS

novrain1082 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:49 am

Hello. I am 25, have been having/missing my periods since 12 years old, usually missing 2-3 months at a time, getting only 2 days worth of spotting when I would have one. I am about 50 lbs overweight currently, but have lost 20 lbs over the past 4 months hoping it would help. I have been put on bc pills over the years, taking my last in August 2006, usually regular on the pill but with strange mood swings.
As of right now, my last period was May. My OBGYN said she wanted me to have a natural cycle so we could do some testing to find out what is wrong, I am hoping to try to conceive as soon as possible. The only symptom I have had since is slight cramping about a month ago, but no period. I was told I had PCOS, but after an ultrasound my OB said the only abnormality was the ovaries are round instead of oval.
Since it's been so long since seeing my OB, I was wondering what the possible causes of my cycle issues are, are there any steps I should ask my OB about?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

It is possible you could have PCOS even with normal-appearing ovaries by ultrasound. Many women do not have these signs. While it is helpful in the diagnosis, no single test can determine this condition. If you have enough of the symptoms (and it sounds like you do) this could be the problem. This is a complex disorder, having an association with insulin as well as hormones and cholesterol. I would either continue with your doctor in this or get a second opinion with someone experienced in PCOS.

novrain1082 - Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:03 am

Thank you for your reply Debbie,
My OBGYN has had me take Prometruim to bring on a period then do blood work, five vials in all I think although I do not remember what the testst were for entirely. I know one was for blood sugar, one for hormones, and another for thyroid; all stating I was fine. The office is now having me see the head OBGYN, I think the next step they have stated is the HST test to see if there is some form of blockage.
Again, thanks for your time and help!

|