Question: Can fibroid tumors cause edema and anemia

doggal - Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 pm

I am a 42 year old woman who has been in good health until about 2 years ago when I started to feel extreme fatigue, weight gain (approx 50 lbs in 2 yrs) memory confusion, hair loss. I went to my pcp and they ran my thyroid, cbc and ekg and all came back normal. I also had the first internal in 14 yrs. They sent me for an abdominal ultrasound after feeling that my uterus was too large. It came back that i have several large fibroids. I never went back. I felt dismissed by my pcp as just fat. I left after being told it was a matter of losing some weight and all would be right with the world. It is now another year later and i fell worse than ever. I now am retaining so much water that i have pitting edema and am easily out of breath during any excersion, even getting to the third floor of my house will wind me. I bruise very easily and could sleep the day away. I went to an endocrinologist and she tested me for thyroid again which came back normal. She also tested me for cushings syndrome because i have several of the symptoms including the tell tale buffalo hump. That overnight test for cortisol came back normal as well. She did tell me my iron was extremely low I had a 5 . she said the normal range was much higher and that may be the reason I am so extremely fatigued.
Ok now my question, Can large fibroids cause the piting edema I am experiencing?
or should I be worried that becasue congestive heart failure is on my maternal side i may be experiencing early heart failure?

Please advise, the medical process is a slow road and I am very frustrated and scared.

Thank you in advance.

Villmets
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:38 pm

While women can have varying symptoms related to fibroids, these are not typical so I would recommend you see a good internal medicine doctor for a thorough examination including heart, lungs and gynecology. You need to be evaluated to be sure you aren't making assumptions that all your symptoms are caused by fibroids just as they are not all caused by weight. Seek a doctor you can feel confident about and who will talk with you respectfully.

doggal - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:24 am

Thank you for getting back to me. In your estimation, should I be concerned about the possibility of CHF since it has occured on my moms side of the family? Also, how do you think the iron deficient anemia plays into this>?

Thanks again for your thoughts and input, I appreciate it.

Villmets
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm sorry I kind of overlooked the anemia concern. Yes, this can be related to fibroids and supplementation may be in order but should be done under a doctor's care. Meanwhile, increase your iron-rich foods (meats, especially organ meats, whole grains such as cream of wheat, beans, spinach, clams, molasses along with vitamin C rich foods to aid absorption). It may be necessary to remove the tumors in order to restore your health.

As for the CHF, it is always wise to consider family history. This is why a regular, general health check up is advised.

|