Question: Does Essure sterilization effect metal Allergies?

Blonde26 - Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:02 pm

I am 26 years old and a mother to four. I just had the essure sterilization procedure done on October 15, 2008. I found out after the implants were put in that the coils are made of metal, specifically nickel, stainless steel, and titanium. I know that I am a metal sensitive person. The maunfacturers web page says that people with metal allergy should not have this procedure done. When I told my Ob/gyn that I found out they are made of metal, she said that "Most people do not know they are made of metal." I then told her that I am a metal sensitive person. She said that I would be fine, she would monitor it, and then she quickly left the room. I am signed up to get a metal test from an allergy and asthma office in town on November 10, 2008 to determine what kind of metals I am allergic to. I have been so worried about this and cannot find any other person with metal allergies that has had this procedure. I would really like to know, as a second opinion, if I should be concerned about this or not and if so what should I do. I have heard that the only way to have them removed is by hysterectomy.
I have seen the same Ob/gyn for 2 years now, but she has become so distant to me and won't answer my questions. My symptoms include cramping, pain, hot flashes, and I have been treated for a bladder infection and believe I have some kind of vaginal infection, which is uncommon for me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:02 pm

It is impossible to say if the symptoms you are experiencing have anything to do with metal sensitivity. It is recommended that women undergoing this procedure who suspect metal allergy be tested first. If you did not report this allergy to your doctor she would have no way of knowing of your sensitivity that would prompt the allergy testing.

You could see an allergist now to determine the extent of any allergy you may have to nickel. It may not be as bad as you think and your symptoms are all such that could occur completely independent of the procedure. Your body may just be recuperating and the cramping, etc. caused by that. Hot flashes would not be something to be expected from the procedure or from an allergy.

If you need to have them removed, it could be done by removing the tube only; not a total hysterectomy. If you are not comfortable with your doctor you can always seek a second opinion.

|