Question: Peripartum cardiomyopathy - afraid to be pregnant

neglectedgem - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:19 pm

There is a lot of info in this message, but I want to make sure you have the scope
25 day VERY VERY regular cycle.
Last period was Sept 19th
Sex on 9/29 (should have Ovulated on the 1st) took plan B within one hour of intercourse.
Oct 6-13 - bled, enough to fill about a pad a day, real watery blood, atypical, tender breasts.
Should have started period on Oct 14th, did not
Took Quantitative HCG Blood on Oct 14th (15 days after sex) Results <2
Took Quantitative HCG Blood on Oct 23rd (24 days after sex) Results <2
Took Quantitative HCG Blood on Nov 2nd (34 days after sex) Results (wasn't given the number, just told negative)
Took EPT HPT This am with 1st morning urine, NEGATIVE.
If the 6-13th was a "period" I should have started my next one by Oct 30th, did not. It's now November 5 and no sign of period, have full tender breasts still, and lots of weird twinges of pain on the right lower side of my abdomen...
Took HPTs (about 10-15 of them) all negative.

Doctor did my annual pap on the Oct 28th, did not seem concerned.

I've only missed two periods my whole life and both times I was pregnant and registered positive on HPT on the week of missed period. I feel pregnant, I worry that I am. I have no period now for 47 days!
Would the HCG Beta have registered positive if I were indeed pregnant? What should I ask my doctor? Is there a chance that I'm pregnant and it's not being picked up? My gynecologist seems annoyed but since I have peripartum cardiomyopathy, being pregnant is a very very scary thing! Please advise to the best of your ability, I fully appreciate your time!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 am

With the history you have conveyed, it seems unlikely you are pregnant. While tests can and do give false negatives sometimes, the serum testing is quite sensitive. It is possible the stress you are feeling is delaying your period. What would you do if you did get pregnant? Would you plan to terminate or take your chances while seeing a high-risk OB? Chances are they could help you get through a safe pregnancy with close observation but I can't say that for sure.

If you have been told your chances of survival in pregnancy is poor, you should seriously consider sterilization to be certain you do not become pregnant. This would also relieve your mind of such worries. But, if you hope to have another child, you should have a preconception visit with a specialist to determine your best options.

If you want to continue to test for pregnancy, repeat a home test about once a week. Once the HCG levels rise high enough it will show up on the HPT.

|