Question: Reoccuring BV that wont go away

morbidfaery - Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Since around May, so about 7 months now, I have been having reoccuring bacteria vaginosis that wont go away. Ive been having to go to the doctor for it every month, one to two times a month. Ive been givin the flagyl for 7days and flagyl for 10 days but with either one my symptoms always come back within a week after taking them. I have also been givin the clindesse one time use cream and that doesn't help, it either doesn't take care of the infection or it causes a yeast infection.
I am sexually active but only with one person, my boyfriend that I have been with for the past 2 1/2 months.
I have tried changing soaps and detergents. I have been taking probotics flora q2 for the past month now and nothing seems to be working.
Do I need to ask my doctor to put me on a different type of antibiotic? Or would I need to go on a long term use of antibiotic (although my doctor says she doesn't want to do that)?
Could it be that my boyfriends semen could be helping cause the infections?
Please help and tell me what else I could possibly do to keep them from coming back
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 am

If I were to ask for something from the doctor it would be to see if she could do a culture and sensitivity to see if the antibiotic is one that is effective against that particular bacteria. I would not want long-term use of antibiotic either so I agree with your doctor on that one. Whatever antibiotics you are given, be sure to complete the treatment, even if symptoms have disappeared.

Alternative treatment methods include yogurt and tea tree oil which can help kill the ‘harmful’ bacteria while promoting good bacteria. Simply apply plain yogurt directly to your vagina or insert tea tree oil suppositories. Other nutritional supplements may help in the natural cure for bacterial vaginosis. Vitamin C (1,000 mg three times daily with meals) and zinc (30 mg daily) may be effective. You may research and find other herbal, homeopathic or natural remedies available as well.

If you are taking birth control pills, it might make sense to try using an alternate method if you are sexually active. Some women also report less vaginosis when they consistently use condoms. If you are using any other products such as douches, oils, lubricants, gels, etc., try doing without.

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Continue to work on the problem until you reach a level of comfort you can live with, which may not be a total cure.

|