Question: 27 Weeks Pregnant/Have Not Seen A Doctor!?

nicwol1577 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:52 am

Hi...I am gonna sound like an idiot, but I am 27 weeks pregnant and just found out that the clinic I have been going to for normal check-ups is not the doctor who will be delivering my child. This is my first pregnancy and I am by myself as far as people to turn to to ask these types of questions. The lady I was seeing I guess is a Mid-Wife and cannot deliver my child, but told me that it will be hard for me to find a doctor who will, at this point, deliver her because most doctors will not see someone past 26 weeks! Ummm...what is she talking about and is she right? If she is, what am I suppose to do? I did not receive any further help from them as far as suggestions or doctors she knew of for me to see. I am not really sure why they didn't tell me this in the beginning and after taking my money, but now I am scared. This doesn't sound right to me and for them to have gone this long seeing me AND still taking my money, what if something is wrong that they never saw or told me about or didn't know because the doctor isn't a "REAL" OB...or is she? I am very nervous and scared! Any help???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Perhaps your midwife was a direct entry or "lay" midwife as opposed to a certified nurse midwife. The latter is always affiliated with a doctor to deliver when the pregnancy has complications or requires a c-section. You didn't say why she won't be able to deliver your child. Have you developed serious complications? You should be able to get in to see a doctor even at this late date. You may need to call a few but let them know your prenatal care provider is no longer willing/able to care for you in your pregnancy.

Often women move to a new location prior to delivering their babies and they are able to get in for care even in the last trimester. Call your local hospital or if you have insurance you could find a provider listing and inquire about someone who would be available for your care.

If after explaining your situation the office refuses to schedule you for an appointment, call your local hospital labor and delivery unit and explain your dilemma to the nurses who can probably refer you to a provider.

If you happen to go into labor without a doctor caring for you, go to the hospital where your insurance covers (if you have insurance) or to any facility. They will find a doctor to care for you in the hospital. It would be much better if you can arrange this in advance but in the worst case scenario of a surprise, early labor, this would be a possibility. If you have a teaching hospital associated with a university, this can be a good place to start.

Best of luck to you. Let us know if you have other questions.

|