News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Is constant hunger on Nuvaring normal?

Amysanwakawaii13 - Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:15 am

I have been on four different birth control over the past few years trying to find one that works for me. Right now, I'm on Nuvaring. With all of these birth control pills, I am ALWAYS ravenously hungry . I can eat until I'm so full I'm on the verge of throwing up, but then like one minute later feel hungry again! Even though I know I'm not. I count calories and run 3-5 miles 5 days a week and lift weights, but still gain weight. I really like the benefits of birth control, I used to be irregular and have long, painful peiods, and they help control my acne, but this constant hunger and weight gain is driving me insane! Is this normal??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
Many people have reported weight gain with hormonal contraceptives and nuvaring works like oral contraceptives. However, they have not been able to determine if this is actually caused by the hormones or if the weight gain would be comparable in other similar women not on this method. Hunger itself is not reported as a common side effect.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here