News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Post Pregnancy Pains

hurtsalot26 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am

I had a baby about 4 months ago... I still have very bad hemorids. I am still breast feeding so I do not want to try any crazy home remedy- and stool softeners make my daughter very fussy... I bleed a lot and this is very painful- everytime I have to go... is there a cure? I have apt to go to the doctor- but they can not see me for another 2 weeks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a very painful result that frequently occurs after pregnancy. You can treat the hemorroids with creams that help decrease the inflammation and help with the pain. In the over-the-counter ointments, you may want to try mixing the creams (Tucks or Preparation H type meds). These come in formulas with cortisone or pain reliever. If you combine the two types on a medicated pad (like Tucks - store brands are fine), then place the folded pad on the painful area you will get the benefit of both or you can alternate the two types of cream. Do this with each trip to the bathroom.

Continue to take sitz baths (warm shallow bath) for comfort and increase your fiber. Take Metamucil or something similar every day and drink lots of water and/or juice. This will not affect your breastmilk. If you need a laxative because hard bowel movements will aggravate the problem, use something mild like Miralax. This can also be used daily if needed without any adverse effects.

You should completely change your diet if you use lots of refined flour to include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, etc. Exercise every day (at least a daily walk). Doing these things will do more to help than any other treatment.

Eventually hemorrhoid surgery can take care of the problem but this is a last resort and is a painful operation. Anything you can do to prevent things from getting worse is well worth the effort and habit changes you need to make.

Good luck. Patience is your friend here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here