News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: position of cervix in pregnancy

kazza26 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm

ok i am totally confused here,ive been trying to get pregnant and ive been on some sites that tell me if your pregnant after ovulation instead of the cervix going low and becoming firm it rises up higher and goes soft.now when i check on my cervix after ovulation it does go down and i check it near enough everyday until i come on and its always low,so now i know that if its low i am not pregnant so i don't check it as much .heres the problem like i said i always thought if it was low you wasnt pregnant now i know three people who have been pregnant and i told them that i didnt need a pregnancy test to tell if i was pregnant because my cervix was reliable enough but my friends said that it isnt reliable because while two of them said that the day they missed there periods there cervix was high and soft one said that on the day her periods was due she checked her cervix and it was low and firm but she was still pregnant,so now i am confused ,what is the cervix meant 2 be like when your pregnant and if its meant to be high and soft why was that girls low and firm
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is not a reliable way to determine pregnancy. This is why we use home pregnancy tests which are inexpensive, quite accurate and much better as an indicator. It is not typical for women to check their cervix regularly.

Best wishes.
 kazza26 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 pm

lol i think more woman check their cervix then you realise especially if there getting desparate like me,thanks for your reply but my question was what does your cervix feel like when your pregnant in the early stages is it high and soft or low and firm or does the position mean nothing at all.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
After ovulation, the cervix drops lower in the vagina and feels firm, like the tip of your nose. During pregnancy, the cervix will rise a bit and become softer, but the timing of this happening will vary from woman to woman. This is one reason it is not a reliable indicator of early pregnancy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here