News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: INCREDIBLE itch in genital area -NO signs of yeast infection

JenniferAK - Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:47 am

I am 32, been faithfully married for 11 years (this weekend) and have 2 children. I am currently on birth control. I have had about 4-5 years of itchiness in my private area. The area is more in the front near my clitoris or urethra -inside the flaps that surround my clitoris/urethra. It is not around my vaginal opening. This is a very intense itch -almost like a that of a mesquito bite, only there is no bump. This itchiness seemed to appear AFTER the birth of my first child and has been here ever since -over 4 years! It is really affecting my life and is so frustrating! I have told my doctor about it every time I visit (we live in a nice area and the doctors are good here). She looks and does some testing for any traces of a yeast infection -it most often comes back negative. I have no signs, other than the itchiness, of a yeast infection. She (the doctor) last appt. out of probably frustration sent me home with 2 prescriptions -one for a 7-day treatment and the other one was for one pill that should have wiped it out -if I had any yeast infection. The itching never stopped -in fact, I may have gotten more irritated and felt raw.
I feel helpless and this really is affecting me tremendously. Could a nerve have been damaged when I gave birth and my body “thinks” that it is itchy? I have tried changing T.P. brands, used non-perfumed/dyed laundry detergent, tried washing with mild Dove soap, tried washing with only water, dried my hoo-hoo (sorry) with a blow dryer, etc, etc… I also after showering and rinsing myself now with only water, will thoroughly dry myself and then put some of a little tube of anti-bacterial itch ointment on (a product made just for that area -can’t think of the name).
ANYWAY, we are celebrating our 11 year anniversary this weekend and WE would love to cure the itch before we go! Please help -I don’t know what normal is anymore! What can I do?
 Beckers7 - Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 am

I am having the exact same problem. I went to the doctor, and he did not exam me, but asked about my symptoms. He gave me an antibiotic and a six day cream with aplicator. It is day 5 and it feels worse. I just want to keep scratching and scratching. There is no discharge, just itching and it feels raw. I have also tried to use Vagisil for the itch, but it only helps for a little while. Any suggestions or advice?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 am

User avatar Hello,
Obviously you are not going to find a quick cure here. Your doctor has not been able to do it and the chances are good we can't either. One thought however is the possibility of some kind of allergic reaction, even though you have ruled out the obvious offenders. Have you tried taking an antihistamine? I also wonder if you might notice a difference if you discontinued the birth control pills you are on. It's a long shot but it looks like that's where you are at this point so what do you have to lose? Consider trying a different, non-hormonal birth control method just for a trial period in case it is related at all.

It doesn't sound like you are having any symptoms of urinary tract infection and surely the doctor has checked this as well.

Have you tried a mild topical hydrocortisone ointment or something like Caladryl (calamine lotion with benadryl for itch)?

That's about all I can come up with. Good luck.

Best wishes.
 JenniferAK - Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Yes, I've been prescribed creams and yeast infection medications -I can't tell if it really does much as far as taking care of the itch momentarily or not. I CAN tell you that most times the area effected is worse in the sense of being more irritated and raw feeling. I am thinking about trying the change in my birth control pills to see if maybe I am having an allergic reaction. Another thought, maybe since I've had my kids I sit more often curled up in a blanket and wonder if it's just too hot for that area and bacteria can grow? I know it sounds gross, but at this point I am desperate and don't care about being too secretive.
Is there a possibility that with the itch being around my front genital area, that it is in something that I eat? Because I can also be itchy on my rectum as well.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:18 pm

User avatar I would not expect this kind of response to a food sensitivity. More likely something external but a change in hormones could be associated so it might be worth trying the birth control change - perhaps something non-hormonal.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here