News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal Bleeding and trying to conceive

brittany101 - Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:57 pm

I have been trying to conceive for months now with no luck. I stopped taking birth control in January and in February we started trying. I had been on birth control for close to 9yrs. Before stopping. In April my OB found a large cyst on my left ovary which was just a simple fluid filled cyst. By June it was completely gone. I go once a month to my OB just to be monitored due to the cyst and everything looks great. But one thing. I have not had a normal flow/period since July. In fact I have not had to use tampons just panty liners. And Since July I have had this abnormal bleeding. Every month around the 22nd-25th I start this brownish/reddish discharge that is very thick. That is around the time I am scheduled to start my period. And than around the 7-10th of the month I start with this brown light discharge from my timing around the time I am suppose to ovulate. I have told my doctor and she can’t find anything wrong with me and feels this could be normal and wants to start me on fertility meds. My husband has been checked and he is normal. But I just don’t know about starting fertility meds. My question is, is this normal? What could be causing this? And can I get pregnant at this rate without the fertility meds?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 am

User avatar Hello,
Your doctor is right that this can be perfectly normal and pregnancy may occur spontaneously. There is no way to predict this. If you can be patient for a few months it just might happen. If you are very anxious then fertility meds might be the way to go, realizing that the risk of multiples is quite high. If you do use them, follow your doctor's orders exactly. It's strictly up to you and what your desires are in regards to your reproductive life plan. If you want to try "naturally" for a while, you might consider an ovulation prediction kit to determine when you ovulate. This would increase your chances if you time intercourse to coincide with your fertile days.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here