"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Profuse Bleeding after Mirena IUD Removal?

melbell1521 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 pm

I just recently got my Mirena IUD removed. I only had it in place for 2 weeks but it cost me too many problems and I decided it wasn't worth it. Upon first removal I only had slight spotting well since it has gotten heavier. As of this morning I went to the bathroom and realized I had soaked through a maxi pad in less than 45 minutes and everytime I go to the bathroom it looks like a someone got murdered in my toilet (sorry if that's TMI?) I just really need help ASAP if this is to be expected or if this is abnormal? If this is normal then how long can I expect this for? PLEASE HELP...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 pm

Heavy bleeding for a few days following removal is quite common. You should notify your doctor if you have several hours of bleeding at this rate (1 pad/hour). If you lose too much blood you risk anemia but that is usually in the case of prolonged bleeding.