Question: could i be pregnant; is it worth testing?

chases_mommy - Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:13 pm

the end of last month i got two positive tests, went to planned parenthood and got a neg, went home and got another pos, then tested two days later and got two neg so i had a blood test done the next day. that came out neg as well. then the 3 of this month i got my period which ended on the 10th. somewhere during that i had a blood clot with a big white thing in it so i think i miscarried but i now i am having what i think are symptoms again. it is only the 17th so its only been a week since i had my period. is it possible for me to be pregnant or is this my body wanting to be pregnant? should i go get a test or ignore it until next month and see if i get my period? thanks for any advice.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 am

It is unlikely that you would have symptoms from so recent a potential conception. I would wait and see if you miss your next period before testing. You can make yourself crazy testing all the time when it's way too early anyway.

kds - Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:54 am

I am 25 years old and I have a 21 month old baby. I recently went to the doctor because I had a lot of pressure on my bladder and I felt like i had to urinate constantly. There was no itching or burning but there was a greenish discharge with a slight smell. The doctor prescribed me Bactrum due to a urine test showed early signs of an infection. I have been taking it for 4 days now and today is the last dose. Nothing has changed. I do have a slight pain in my lower back, fatigue, and last week I had terrible indigestion to the point I didnt have an appetite. I had my period about 2 weeks ago and it was normal so pregnancy never entered my mind but since the symptoms are still here after antibiotics maybe I am. Do you think i should take a pt or should I go back to the doctor?
 julie_87 - Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi, My name is Julie, I just turned 22 last month on june,. I've had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on 11th June, and broke up with him after 2 days because of some personal reasons. And on 26th of June I had my regular period which was expected. I'm now sexually unactive. But I have had my period on 15th of July, before 10 days of my expected period date. Then Today on 2nd of August I'm again having dark brown spots since morning. I'm really worried, please help me out .. Please.. And Yes, I'm on diet, and do aerobics and yoga daily. Desperately looking forward to your replies. Please help me. Ive done pregnancy test three times today, and it was negative. I'm suffering from polycistic ovary too. And my ex never discharged inside me that day. I don't feel sick, I don't feel anything like that, and today my flow has increase, it's not spots anymore. It's just normal flow now, least than normal though.
 nunee01 - Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm

I am 17 years old and me and my boyfriend are having sex all the time. This week, which was the week of December 27 my boyfriend told me he was nutting in me as he was pulling out; he did this maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago one or twice; he didnt say he did it for sure, but as i said, he said as he was pulling out. My last period was November 25, and I have missed my period. Today is December 29. I am eating more than usual and i am always tired. It feels like my period wants to come on, but it dosen't. I do have mood swings every so often. A few friends told me that having sex around your period can make it jump. So i am just wondering if i should take a test, and if so, when?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm

I will try to answer these several questions at once.

For kds - it never hurts to take a pregnancy test when you suspect you might be. Antibiotics for UTI won't hurt if you are pregnant and many women get these so it is possible you had an infection. It is also possible you have other issues going on as well. In some cases the antibiotics need to be repeated or changed based on the outcome of the treatment and culture/sensitivity if that test was done. At any rate, if symptoms continue you should contact your doctor. These are not typical symptoms of pregnancy however.

For Julie - irregular periods such as you describe are perfectly normal. Since you had your regular period after you had sex, you would not be pregnant. PCOS can also cause irregular periods but your symptoms do not suggest pregnancy.

For Nunee - there are many reasons your period could be missed or irregular but it's always a good idea to have a pregnancy test when you are in doubt. Also, if you are not pregnant and sexually active you must find a reliable method of birth control you and your boyfriend are comfortable with. Stress about pregnancy is not something you need.

|