Question: seborrheic hemorrhage in placenta ?

koz1980 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi my wife had an ultrasound done a while ago and she is almost 6 months along and the doctor told us she at some point HAD a seborrheic hemorrhage in the placenta . and that it was something that happend at sime time earlier during the pregnancy . They didn't seem to be to worried about it ... I know things like size and location and mothers age all affect that ... but my wife also was diagnosed with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and is on the blood thinner Hepparin she takes injections ... my wife and i are worried about this seborrheic hemorrhage even if the doctors don't seem to be too worried any input would be appreciated thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Ideally you would discuss your concerns with your wife's doctor. I am not familiar with this term "seborrheic" hemorrhage, but I suspect there was indication that there had been a bleed at one point which has healed over and is no longer a concern. If it were a serious problem, I am sure your doctor would not be this casual about it. I understand your concerns with the clotting disorder. Perhaps the hemorrhage resulted because of the blood thinner but women sometimes have a placental tear or hemorrhage with no other risk factors or medication so we can't say for sure.

Tell your wife not to hesitate bringing the questions to her doctor. That's why she has a doctor to help her through the complications of the natural process of childbirth.

koz1980 - Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:01 pm

thanks so much for your reply i apprecaite it ... the term seborrheic hemorrhage from what i get means that there was a spot where they think a small part of the placenta may have torn away from the wall of the uterus at some time earlier during the pregnancy .... my wife never bleed at all .. and she is seeing a hemotologist for the clotting disorder and a high risk perientologist aslo along with her OB and they all seem to not know much about how to deal with both the previous placental hemorrahage and the clotting so they just agreed that it would be best to probably lower the dose of hepparin injections to once a day instead of the 3 times they had originally gone with and if it hasn't caused any problems yet this far along 6 months then it most likely wont approach which is fine with us i just want to be assured that its not much to worry about at this point
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:47 am

Thank you for the update. Of course you want reassurance and it sounds like your wife is getting excellent care. I would not be overly worried about this. It happens frequently (the placental tear) and in most cases there are no future problems. It very well could be related to the heparin and you are definitely dealing with t touchy situation here in trying to avoid clots as well as bleeds. Try to relax and enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible.

|