News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   
 

 Headlines:

 
 

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missed Abortion


 ajaz - Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:29 am

dear sir,

I have two kids with ceaserian, and i was advised by the doctor in india that there will be complication and might risky for mother if we go for the third child. Since then we are taking the precautions. But unfortunately last month my wife has missed her periods (her LMP : 31ST October, 2008). We went to the hospital (10/dec/08) and after conducting the blood test 25 mIU/ml and conifrmed positive. On 11/dec/08 i have taken 3x200 mg misoprostel orally and 2x200 mg vaginally and the periods started in two hours and heavt bleeding there for two days followed by ligh bleed until 16th December, 2008. 17th December, 2008 ULTRASOUND (TVS) performaed and the report shows : Uterus showing gestational sac : 8 mm collapsed , Fetal pole : Not seen after +- 4D missed abortion. Doctor prescribed on 17th December, 2008: Duracan 150 mg 1 Cap, Methergin 125 mg 3 tabs per day for 5 days, Biocef 500 mg 2 Cap per day for 5 days, Ferrovit 2 tab per day for one month.
Taken Duracan on 17th Night, rest of prescription started on 18th Dec, 2008. Until today no menses and no pain/complication and everything seems normal. But my request is to review the case and let me know whether 8 mm gestation sac will it go by above medication or should i go for D & C. Please answer me as soon as possible. Best regards, Ajaz
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
I assume your wife had other complications besides the cesarean which have put her at risk for pregnancy because, while there is a slightly higher risk with each subsequent cesarean, that alone would not make pregnancy out of the question.

The attending doctor would need to determine if a D & C is indicated based on ultrasound findings. It is important that all contents of the uterus be evacuated but they should be able to confirm this and they may just choose to wait a little while to see if her body handles it without intervention.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

 

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

 
     

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

 
Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here