News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: No period 4 months after giving birth (not breastfeeding)

sarahboo89 - Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:31 pm

I becoming increasingly more worried about this problem, i had my daughter on september 8th 2008 and it is now december 21st and i still have not had a period. i am not breastfeeding and i havent had sex at all since giving birth, i am also experiencing crippling pain in my abdomen that last about 30 seconds to 1 minute and is extremely unpredictable, it has only happened 4 or 5 times but i am having wierd irregular cramping as well, i also keep getting randomly bloated and i have had a constant headache. I am becoming extremely worried about myself and i have no health insurance, is it normal to have no period this late and not be breastfeeding or pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Childbirth and hormonal fluctuation can affect your periods for a while. I'm sorry you are not breastfeeding - lots of advantages to it besides missed periods. But, I would not be overly concerned. The pain could be related to ovarian cysts or endometriosis. Neither condition is emergent in nature but seeing your doctor might be in order if it continues, to be sure it is not being caused by some underlying problem with the thyroid or pituitary gland, etc. Start a health savings account in lieu of insurance premiums, copays and deductibles so you will be prepared for health care needs.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here