News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: early menstrual cycle

chris3434 - Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:16 pm

I am 38, married, no pregnancies. I have been off BCP for 8 cycles and use condoms- every time. My period is about every 24-25 days. Last month it came at 19 days- I spoke to OBGYN they said take a HPT, if neg. don't worry about it. HPT was neg. Today I noticed light brown discharge after sex (16 days since period), I get a brown discharge most months for a few days before my period. I am concerned that now I am going to get my period again so early. I am have been very stressed the past 2 months- could this throw off my cycle? Is it OK that my period is this early?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is considered normal to have variation of cycle length when not artificially manipulated through birth control pills. You do not need to worry about an early period and it can take a while for periods to regulate (if they ever do at all) once you stop oral contraceptives. Yes, stress can affect the periods and the brown discharge is nothing to worry about - just some old blood that wasn't expelled with the last period for some reason.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here