Question: Replacing Belara Birth Control Pill

archuleta101 - Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 am

I live in Peru but am now in the US for 3 months, due to a job training. In Peru, my OB/GYN has given me BELARA as a birth control pill. It contains 0.03 mg ethinyl estradiol and 2 mg chlormadinone acetate. I have tried to find something similar here, but can't seem to locate anything. Is it ok for me to switch to a 'similar' product, although containing different chemical properties? If so, which one is recommended? Will it be ok to turn back to Belara once I go back to Peru?

Thank you for your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm

There are many options for birth control pills and you should have no problem switching now and even again when you return to Peru. The effect is the same, even when the formulation is a bit different. The variations can sometimes make one more tolerable to a patient than another but the hormonal regulation should be similar enough to not cause any problems. Occasionally you will notice some differing side effects as your body adjusts but it is not cause for alarm; nor should it affect how well they work as a contraceptive. Try not to have a break between or use a second method for the first month if you do.

|