Question: Missed period, 6 months (PCOS, thyroid, cysts...?)

vegmeg - Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:08 am

I have not had my period in 6 months. I am 20 yrs old and I am healthy. I was on birth control, stopped taking it, and had this issue before. My doctor put me back on the pill. I stopped taking it again. I am not pregnant. I sometimes have lower pelvic pain, but its fleeting and is very moderate. There hasn't been major changes in my exercise or stress levels, and my weight is pretty much unchanged. The first time this happened I had a blood test and my thyroid was normal. I need to make a doctor's appt. but want a little reassurance until that time.

I am only 20, I do not want to have children now but I do in the future. I do not want to go back on birth control just to regulate my periods.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 pm

There are a number of hormonal issues that can result in missed periods (or not ovulating). Regulating your periods chemically is not necessary for health reasons and if you are not having other symptoms you should be fine to wait for your exam to discuss the situation with your doctor. Once you become ready for childbearing, you will also be able to determine your ovulation pattern and perhaps get assistance if needed. There are medications to help and if you have PCOS, endometriosis, etc, there are treatments to assist with fertility issues.

I would not worry excessively about this but I know if you are sexually active it can be reassuring to have periods regularly.

You are on the right course to have the exam and talk to your doctor so any additional hormone testing beyond thyroid can be completed.

vegmeg - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:25 pm

Thank you for the quick response.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:23 pm

User avatar You are welcome!

|