Question: Nystatin cream for itching during pregnacy

arimommy - Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm

I was using nystatin cream vaginally for itching. Every time my husband and I have sex, his penis would get itchy and irritated. Would this be from the cream?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 pm

It is always possible that a sensitivity can be there, though this would not be a common thing. If you no longer need the cream and after discontinuing its use he is still having this problem, chances are it is unrelated as an allergic reaction should not persist after the offending agent is removed and should gradually heal. He could also take Benadryl or another antihistamine to see if that helps speed up the resolution of itching. Beyond this, consider any other exposure such as soaps or personal hygiene products, laundry detergent, etc. and encourage him to wash after sex to see if that helps.