Question: Complex Cyst in Left Ovary

ecat - Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello-

I am a 32 yr old female. I have had 2 pregnancies and 2 natural deliveries. I am not on any birth control but have a regular period 28-30 day cycle. Bleeding has been a bit heavier and more cramping since having my son last year. Over the course of the year I have had many aches and pains and my immunities were obviously low by the amount of times I was ill with colds/flu, etc. I have been feeling better for the most part except in mid October, I developed a sharp pain in my upper mid abdomen and lower/mid back. All on the left side only. I noticed that month that when I ovulated my pelvis felt inflamed, my tail bone hurt, it was uncomfortable to sit down and I felt like I needed to have a bowel movement but couldn't. Then I started to feel like I was getting a UTI. I went to see my family doctor and he found no infection or blood in urine. It passed so I didn't worry to much about it. I continued to have lower back aches but figured it was do to muscle strain. In Novemer again I felt the pain during ovulation stronger and it hurt to have sex. I bled a tiny a bit after sex. That happened only on one occassion. The ovulatory pain passed but the tendor spot in my abdomen and lower back did not totally subside. It would come and go. I finally went back to my family doctor since I wasn't sure whether I should see a gastro or gyno. He suspected Endometriosis and ordered an ultrasound of pelvis and below are the findings as transcripted:

The uterus is anterverted. It is normal in size at 8.9 cm in length x 4.1 AP x .4 transverse. Endometrium is 9 mm in thickness, avascular and normal.
Myometrium normal.
Small amount of free fluid in cul de sac.
Right ovary 2.8 cm in length, the left is 3.4. Multiple follicular cysts in the right ovary. The largest is less than 1cm.
There are follicular cysts of the left ovary, and there is also a complex cyst or nodule, possibly hemorrhagic cyst, oval and 2.3 cm x 1.6 with some hypervascularity in the periphery.
Impression:
1) Anterverted uterus.
2) 2.3 cm complex or hemorrhagic cyst in left ovary.
3) Small amount of free fluid. Otherwise Negative.

I should also note that I do have a family histor of cancer. My Grandmother had Colon Cancer at 75. My Mother survived Breast but was diagnosed and treated at 35. My Father survived prostate cancer was diagnosed and treated at 65.

My family doctor passed away before he could go over the results with me. I have an appointment with a new doctor next week. In the meantime I have worried myself beyond what I think is normal. I need some educated guidance so that I can spend a peaceful holiday with my family.

So my questions are does the finding of hypervacularity and free fluid more often indicate a malignancy? I know that I am likely more at risk for cancer given my family history so I want to be sure I ask my new doctor all the right questions. What other tests should I request? I feel like this needs to be looked at closer, what length of time should I request a follow up ultrasound or other test? Any other advise would be tremondously appreciated.
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Nothing here suggests cancer but treatable conditions. It is always good to be aware of your family history when it comes to your medical background.

You should be fine waiting to see the new doctor. Be sure you have your records sent to the new physician.

|