News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 30 weeks pregnant, hurts to stand or walk, pain in back?

xPandahh - Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:34 pm

I'm new to this whole new pregnancy thing and I was wondering if I could get some answers. Well, I'm 30 weeks pregnant and just 2 days ago, it was very painful to stand or even walk. I had to walk as slow as possible and this has never happened to me before. The pains occurred mainly on the left side of my body. Also, when sleeping in bed, I found it very uncomfortable to turn without feeling sharp pains on my left side as well. They slowly started disappearing the next day, but still there were little pains. Also, when I yawn or breathe deeply, I find this small pain on the left side of my lower back. I would breathe in and all of a sudden, a burst of pain. And lastly, I find that my baby isn't kicking as much as she did earlier in my pregnancy. I'm just wondering, are these all normal? Should I be worried? Please answer me! Thank you! Also, Merry Christmas everyone! Oh, one more thing, sex will not cause a miscarriage right? My side started hurting during sex with my hubby, is that bad? Or is it telling me I should be in a more comfortable position?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:22 pm

User avatar Hello,
First of all, sex will not harm the baby unless you are having some complications that have caused your doctor to prescribe pelvic rest. Sometimes this is needed in cases such as placenta previa or incompetent cervix. If you had these conditions your doctor would have told you. Comfort is another matter and you need to experiment with positions. Many couples find it works better to use a "rear entry" or sidelying position.

As for the pain, it is always best to check these things out. Many times pain is just the result of stretching ligaments, position of baby on nerves and spine, etc. but there are times when acute abdominal pain can be serious so you should see your doctor. You should also be doing kick counts and if it seems your baby's movement has decreased a bit, this is another reason to have it checked out. Either call your doctor or go straight to the labor and delivery area of your delivery hospital and let the nurses know what your concerns are. They can evaluate you and determine if your baby is being stressed for some reason.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here