News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: When will the pill begin doing its job?

k_town - Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:53 pm

Hello, I recently decided to begin taking "the pill" (loestrin 1/20) again. My doctor advised me to begin the pack on the sunday after my next period starts, but that won't be until around May 20th. My cycle is about 40 days long usually, and my last period started on April 11th.
I'm wondering if I begin taking the pills now, is it likely that they will be effective? I wouldn't think that I would actually ovulate for another week or so... so would the pill be able to block the release of the egg (and/or create a hostile uterine environment) even though I didn't begin taking it right when my period started? or does it need the extra time to get the hormones working correctly?
Thank you so much!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:21 am

It is better to begin the Sunday after your next period begins as that will keep your hormonal schedule as close to normal as possible.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here