Question: When will the pill begin doing its job?

k_town - Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:53 pm

Hello, I recently decided to begin taking "the pill" (loestrin 1/20) again. My doctor advised me to begin the pack on the sunday after my next period starts, but that won't be until around May 20th. My cycle is about 40 days long usually, and my last period started on April 11th.
I'm wondering if I begin taking the pills now, is it likely that they will be effective? I wouldn't think that I would actually ovulate for another week or so... so would the pill be able to block the release of the egg (and/or create a hostile uterine environment) even though I didn't begin taking it right when my period started? or does it need the extra time to get the hormones working correctly?
Thank you so much!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:21 am

It is better to begin the Sunday after your next period begins as that will keep your hormonal schedule as close to normal as possible.

|