News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: i have pcos can i get pregnant?

tiggerlover61001 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Hello. i have been diagnosed with pcos. i want to have another child. its been almost 8 years. i have been trying for over a year now. what can i do to be able to concieve?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:34 am

User avatar Hello,
Yes, it is possible to conceive with PCOS - plenty of women do. But, it can be more difficult, as you have learned. You should be evaluated by a gynecologist to see if you might benefit from treatment with Glucophage or Metformin because PCOS is partially caused by insulin resistence. Many doctors also prescribe an ovulation stimulation medication such as Clomid to aid in conception. These medications must be taken as prescribed by your doctor. The potential risk is for multiples (and that means a higher risk of miscarriage, preterm delivery and infant mortality). But, when properly administered and monitored it often results in a successful pregnancy.

Best wishes and good luck in your efforts.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here