News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: provera applied on wrong cycle period. does it work?

laasl - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 pm

Hello,
I am a bit freaked because i just had the provera shot applied by a nurse yesterday and then read today that it should be applied up to the 5 first days of the cycle. but the last time i was on my period was almost 3 weeks ago.
i have had unprotected sex already with my bf. does the provera still work, is it ok?
what are the side effects of having had it applied in the wrong period
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
It would be advised for you to use a backup method for the first 7 days so if you had sex during that time there is a slight chance pregnancy could occur but there are variables that would determine - did you actually ovulate within a day or two of having sex (hard to say now) and if you did, was the egg actually fertilized anyway. Since pregnancy does not occur with every sexual encounter, the odds are actually in your favor.

The primary reason the injection is done during the first five days is because it is important that you not be pregnant at the time of the injection. During the first five days of your cycle it is very unlikely you would have ovulated and therefore you can be quite confident you are not pregnant.

If you suspect pregnancy, you could take a home pregnancy test, usually reliable at the first missed period.

Best wishes.
 laasl - Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 am

thankyou for your information
I will take a home pregnancy test just to be sure.
I had menstruated 3 weeks before i took provera.. That means it is usually too late to have gotten pregnant anyways right? or is it a very fertile period?
I'll take a test tomorow anyways though

thanks again
L

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here