Question: provera applied on wrong cycle period. does it work?

laasl - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 pm

I am a bit freaked because i just had the provera shot applied by a nurse yesterday and then read today that it should be applied up to the 5 first days of the cycle. but the last time i was on my period was almost 3 weeks ago.
i have had unprotected sex already with my bf. does the provera still work, is it ok?
what are the side effects of having had it applied in the wrong period
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:05 pm

It would be advised for you to use a backup method for the first 7 days so if you had sex during that time there is a slight chance pregnancy could occur but there are variables that would determine - did you actually ovulate within a day or two of having sex (hard to say now) and if you did, was the egg actually fertilized anyway. Since pregnancy does not occur with every sexual encounter, the odds are actually in your favor.

The primary reason the injection is done during the first five days is because it is important that you not be pregnant at the time of the injection. During the first five days of your cycle it is very unlikely you would have ovulated and therefore you can be quite confident you are not pregnant.

If you suspect pregnancy, you could take a home pregnancy test, usually reliable at the first missed period.

laasl - Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 am

thankyou for your information
I will take a home pregnancy test just to be sure.
I had menstruated 3 weeks before i took provera.. That means it is usually too late to have gotten pregnant anyways right? or is it a very fertile period?
I'll take a test tomorow anyways though

thanks again
L

|