Question: Wearing a Halo immobilizer while giving birth

DaffyDuck09 - Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:51 pm

My wife fractured C2 and C3 last week in a car accident. She is 33 weeks pregnant and has to wear a Halo immobilizer to allow for the fractures to heal. All doctors envolved felt this was a better option than risking the health of the unborn by doing a 4 hour surgery. Her OBGYN is confident that my wife can have vaginal birth while wearing the Halo? I wanted to know if you have heard of such a birth before or is this a medical first, because so far the local medical community has not seen nor heard of this being done before.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 pm

The purpose of the halo is to immobilize the neck to prevent further injury and allow healing. I see no reason why this would interfere with childbirth. I would recommend that she do some preparation for relaxation to further assist in the process. Medications will be offered but any additional skills she gains to help her cope with the labor will be helpful. Hypnobirthing, Lamaze, Childbirth without Fear, Bradley method are all ways to help the mother relax and work with her body to deliver the baby.

Good luck to your wife. Wishing a successful delivery and full recovery from her injuries.

|