News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Wearing a Halo immobilizer while giving birth

DaffyDuck09 - Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:51 pm

My wife fractured C2 and C3 last week in a car accident. She is 33 weeks pregnant and has to wear a Halo immobilizer to allow for the fractures to heal. All doctors envolved felt this was a better option than risking the health of the unborn by doing a 4 hour surgery. Her OBGYN is confident that my wife can have vaginal birth while wearing the Halo? I wanted to know if you have heard of such a birth before or is this a medical first, because so far the local medical community has not seen nor heard of this being done before.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
The purpose of the halo is to immobilize the neck to prevent further injury and allow healing. I see no reason why this would interfere with childbirth. I would recommend that she do some preparation for relaxation to further assist in the process. Medications will be offered but any additional skills she gains to help her cope with the labor will be helpful. Hypnobirthing, Lamaze, Childbirth without Fear, Bradley method are all ways to help the mother relax and work with her body to deliver the baby.

Good luck to your wife. Wishing a successful delivery and full recovery from her injuries.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here