Question: Premature Ovarian Failure at the age of 20

amy83 - Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 am

I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure at the age of 20 when I started having irregular periods. I started having my periods at the age of 13 yrs. Had regular periods till 18 years and they became irregular with 3 months gap and then 6 months and finally had my periods once in a year.

My doctor made me under go many medical examination and ruled out any PCOS.
The only thing that came out of the examinations was my hormonal values.
I got my hormonal level checked so many time. It was always in menopausal range. I am giving the values that were recorded sometime in Nov'07.

I got my LH and FSH checked (2007 values)
LH- 27.40
FsH- 83.89
TSH-Normal

I don't have any family history in this. I also got karyotyping done, which came out to be normal.

Recently after 1 years I got my periods in May 2008 and in June 2008, and then again missed them till October. Then in November I again got my periods( normal flow-4 days).

I got my pelvic ultrasound and LH and FSH checked when I was on my period in Nov'08.-
Ultrasound results ---Uterus small with streak ovaries.

LH-6.93
FSH-7.48

This time my hormonal level suddenly dropped to normal...It's weird after so many years..they came back normal!!! I am confused on this. How could my FSH and LH came done to normal levels???

Then I December, just 7 days before my periods were due.. I had a brown discharge for a day..very light though and never had my periods that month. Then in January again I had 1 day brown discharge and no period till now.

Can you please tell me what is this brown discharge instead of period..or it is a period?? I am bit confused.

My doctor has asked me to be on Deviry-10 mg for 8 days before my periods due date.......
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 am

I don't know a lot about this and nobody really knows the cause of premature ovarian failure. As for sometimes getting a period, we do know that in some cases, say 5-10% do become pregnant at some time so it appears there can be sporadic functioning of the ovaries, and this would explain the occasional periods.

Don't worry about brown discharge - it just implies the blood has been there for a while (old blood) before being released from your body.

Take the progesterone (Deviry) treatment as prescribed - it can't hurt and may help.

I had hoped someone here with more expertise might have suggestions so I will refer this question to other members of the team.

KKBCabales, RN - Sun May 31, 2009 10:13 pm

good day!
since you are greatly concerned regarding your brown vaginal discharges, we will focus on to this.
brown vaginal discharges may or may not be a cause of great worry UNLESS if your discharges were associated by the below few signs and symptoms:
1. Pain
2. PAin especially during intercourse
3. rashess
4. hot to touch on your genitalia
5. yellowish watery discharges with odor
6. frequent urination
7. depression
8. vaginal dryness
9. itching
10. burning sensation
the above are the only a few known associated signs and symptoms that may need professional medical management, simply to a physician.
if the above said were not usually assoicated, your dischrages may be just a cause of dysfunctional endometrial elimination.
MEANING, those brown discharges are possibly related on the late reaction of your uterus to pass out the endometrial linings on the day that it should occur. thus, instead of having red discharges, you had the brown discharges because your uterus is trying to expel the old endometrial linings since it is also necessary because that are waste, rotten waste as i view it.

|