News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Indoor pets and pregnancy

eeyor03 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:54 pm

We have two Robo Dwarf hampsters. We don't handle them, but my daughter and I usually are the ones that clean the cages. As my husband and I will be trying to get pregnant in the next few months, are hampsters okay to have? I know that some pets can cause harm to the unborn baby and we wanted to see if these were safe.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 am

User avatar Hello,
Handling reptiles can cause salmonella infection and cats that go outdoors can spread disease through their litter box so we recommend you not change the box yourself and ask someone else to do those honors.

I know of no real risk for pregnancy complications from hamsters but good handwashing after handling is always a good idea.

Best wishes and good luck in your venture.
 just_another_mom - Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:51 pm

I am a mom of 4. During my pregnancies I have had cats, dogs, mice, a ferret, and fish. I have been told that changing the litter could cause problems but I did not know that until after doing it. I recomend that if you change litter of any kind wash your hands well and wear a face mask so you do not inhale anything. I did this and thank God never had any problems. Good luck!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:41 am

User avatar Those are good suggestions to help guard against infection. If the cat never goes out or catches mice the risk is very small.

Debbie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here