News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: brown discharge started BC thinking periods started confused

confused123 - Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:11 pm

Hello

I was not on Birth control I had dark brown reddish stiks and i thought my period started so started taking yaz birth control 2 days later it was clear I continued taking the birth control. I have stomach cramps but my periods did not start. Last month I had dark discharge on 3rd dec it was clear on 7th then I got the flow on the 9th which was there for 5 days. Do i continue taking the birthcontrol and when is the first day of periods. please help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
Birth control pills can affect your periods. Some people have very light periods, some miss them altogether. You should take the pills as prescribed and if a break of one week is part of the routine, just take that break after the three weeks of active pills, then begin again regardless of whether or not you had bleeding. If your pack contains benign (sugar) pills, just take them continuously according to the package. The reason they are started with a period part of the cycle is to be sure you are not pregnant already when you start them.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.
 confused123 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Thank you for the response. is the brown discarge considered as the first day of the periods.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
It may be but hard to say if that would be considered the first day - depends on how heavy the period is - if the next day is more typical, you might consider that day 1. However, since you are continuing the pill on schedule anyway, that technicality should not matter.

Best regards

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here