News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Severe dysplasia and hysterectomy

medic10b - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 am

I am a 38 year old married mother of 3. I had a tubal after my daughter 6 yrs ago. 9 yrs ago I had severe dysplasia and had the laser surgery to remove a nickle sizeed spot. I now have severe dysplasia again. My doctor has suggested LEEP this time and also mentioned partial hysterectomy. Since this is the second time I have had this I'm leaning toward the hysterectomy and my concern is intercourse after. I have heard that the cervix plays a large part in male satisfaction. Also worried about loss of sex drive. I have no other health problems. Any insight would be greatley appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a difficult question to answer. Millions of women have experienced hysterectomy without adverse effect on their sexual experiences. There are others who feel there was a difference afterwards - sometimes in the type of orgasm they experience but since multiple factors come into play here, orgasm continues to be present and any slight difference usually is not noticed after a couple of times. Most women enjoy sex as much or more after the surgery. Not having menses and the issues that led up to the need for hysterectomy can be very freeing.

The cervix is the end of the vagina and when the hysterectomy removes this, the vagina has a closed end. Only rarely does the male's penis ever touch the end of the vagina so this is usually not an issue at all. The vagina itself stretches to accommodate the need. Some response may be psychological and if your husband believes it will adversely affect his pleasure, it probably will. If he studies up and learns that most men do not report an adverse effect, this may help to reassure him.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here