Question: Severe dysplasia and hysterectomy

medic10b - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 am

I am a 38 year old married mother of 3. I had a tubal after my daughter 6 yrs ago. 9 yrs ago I had severe dysplasia and had the laser surgery to remove a nickle sizeed spot. I now have severe dysplasia again. My doctor has suggested LEEP this time and also mentioned partial hysterectomy. Since this is the second time I have had this I'm leaning toward the hysterectomy and my concern is intercourse after. I have heard that the cervix plays a large part in male satisfaction. Also worried about loss of sex drive. I have no other health problems. Any insight would be greatley appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

This is a difficult question to answer. Millions of women have experienced hysterectomy without adverse effect on their sexual experiences. There are others who feel there was a difference afterwards - sometimes in the type of orgasm they experience but since multiple factors come into play here, orgasm continues to be present and any slight difference usually is not noticed after a couple of times. Most women enjoy sex as much or more after the surgery. Not having menses and the issues that led up to the need for hysterectomy can be very freeing.

The cervix is the end of the vagina and when the hysterectomy removes this, the vagina has a closed end. Only rarely does the male's penis ever touch the end of the vagina so this is usually not an issue at all. The vagina itself stretches to accommodate the need. Some response may be psychological and if your husband believes it will adversely affect his pleasure, it probably will. If he studies up and learns that most men do not report an adverse effect, this may help to reassure him.

|