News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: toxoplasma high avidity is it safe to get pregnant?

ags - Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 am

My wife had just finished her medication taking spyramycn and vitamin B for her toxoplasma for the past 5 weeks. However, the result from her blood test is still giving out positif result as follows:

Anti-Toxoplasma IgG = 141
Anti-Toxoplasma IgM = 1.04 (previously it was 1.08)
Anti-Toxoplasma IgG Avidity = 0.677 (High Avidity)

I was wondering if it is actually safe for us to start trying to have a baby? What are the chances for it to affect the baby? What is the solution to treat this disease?
She is been stressing out due to many anti-biotics she'd been taking is giving her hair loss problem aswell.

I was also wondering if taking "Betakaroten" supplements will increase her stamina to fight against toxoplasma?

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm

User avatar Hello,
Because these antibody tests can be difficult to interpret, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all positive results be confirmed by a laboratory that specializes in diagnosing toxoplasmosis. I assume this was the case but you also need someone skilled at interpreting these hard to understand results. Positive testing can merely show there has been infection in the past and immunity is now present; not just that there is current infection with this parasite.

High avidity actually means immunity to the disease so that in itself would not be cause to delay pregnancy. It is helpful in confirming the diagnosis and to know that treatment was appropriate. But, as for residual risk for pregnancy, you would need to consult with her infectious disease doctor to examine the lab results. From what I see, it just states recent infection and I don't know of any particular recommendation for spacing between infection and conception.

I'm sorry I'm not able to fully answer your question but it would be worthwhile to discuss it in detail with her doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here