Question: Possible change in breast tissue, but not sure...

avsquared1891 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 am

My yearly gyn exam is scheduled for 2/9/09, so obviously this will be evaulated then, but I wanted some input beforehand.

Last night I felt something very new to me in my left breast. I'm not sure if it was there before, I never really checked myself in that particular position. It feels like a bumpy cord starting near the bottom crease of the breast and then goes on to feel like a "string" going to the center. It's one continuous string, pretty much. This can be felt only in two positions, either with my left breast lifted or with me on my side with the breast laying on the side.

I have never felt a stringy cord in my breast before. I have had a couple of cysts in the past, ones that were actually visible near the surface of the breast, but didn't need aspirating, they went away on their own. I've had mammograms and ultrasounds before, all were normal.

As I said, I will be seen on 2/9 for my annual gyn exam. Is this something of a major concern? I will be scheduling a mammogram after that appt, should the PA make any sort of notation on the order form?
At first I was thinking that this could very well be a perimenopausal thing (I began having hot flashes at around age 36, am now close to 41), I do know that there are breast changes as one matures.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Breast changes are usually benign but should always be checked out so I'm glad you have an appointment coming up. I doubt it is anything of a more urgent nature but it is possible you might be able to get the mammogram scheduled before your other appointment and could then discuss the results with your doctor. If you wait to see the doctor first, then schedule the mammogram, it will just delay the answer you are seeking. It may require a doctor's order but if you call the office they should be able to arrange this to your convenience, or even schedule both events for the same day, saving you another trip if the mammography clinic is nearby.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

avsquared1891 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks so much for responding!
I ended up calling my gyn's office yesterday and was seen today by the PA. She did an exam and then asked the gyn to come in, she wanted him to confirm that there is indeed something there.
He did order a diagnostic mammogram, which is scheduled for the 21st of this month, I was really surprised with how quickly I'll be seen for that. The gyn said that more than likely it is something benign, but he did want the mammogram done just to be on the safe side, especially since this is something that I had never ever felt before.

Thanks again, will update when I can.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:33 am

User avatar Thanks for responding. I am so glad. This sounds like a perfect solution and you came up with it on your own. Good job to be active in your health and examining your breasts. I'm sure you feel calmer that the chances are good it will be benign but better to be on the safe side of course.

avsquared1891 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Debbie, wanted to update. Had the mammogram and ultrasound today, and I'm feeling very very RELIEVED. The appt was scheduled for a day that a radiologist is available, which is nice, b/c results are immediate.
Turns out that all is well. Apparently what I am feeling is a LIGAMENT. *blush* I feel a bit foolish, but I'm glad that I did have it looked into, b/c afterall, it was something new for me!

Nice to get a clean bill of health. Being that my annual screening mammo was to be in March, the radiologist had me have both sides done today so that I wouldn't have to return in a couple of months. All is well.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm

User avatar That is relieving news. Being in tune with your body and breast tissue will make it easier for you to do monthly breast exams with confidence. Congratulations on such perception. I wish more women would do this. Thanks for the update.

Debbie

|