Question: Intrauterine Growth retardation

Shykm - Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:23 am

I am Shyla. 23 years old. 54Kg weight. Married, for 2 years. In my first pregnancy, had a sad experience. I suffered from Intrauterine Growth Retardation which resulted in still birth. This happened in Sep 2007. It was diagnosed due to placental insufficiency. Consequent to this, doctor here advised us rest for one year and asked us to go for regular doses of Aspirin when we plan next pregnancy.

On account of transfer of my husband, we have moved to a new place. Now we are planning for the pregnancy. Whether IUGA may repeat again this time? What are the chances? Could you please advise us what precautions to be taken to prevent this happening again. Should we go for Aspirin dose. Are there any disadvantages of Aspirin, how long that need to be taken and what dose. Are there any other measures to be followed. Pls come back

Look forward your kind advise

regards
shyla
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Of course your doctors will be monitoring you for this condition in a future pregnancy just in case but I would not expect the same thing to happen again. It is probably just due to the way the placenta and cord developed and next time it will likely do well. The aspirin suggestion is for the possibility that a small blood clot may have been involved in the insufficiency of nutrient transfer to the baby. I see no problem with going for the low dose aspirin therapy that is often prescribed in such cases as this. It would not be a full adult dose; just about the equivalent of a "baby" aspirin.

Good luck with your plans.
 Shykm - Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:34 am

Dear Debbie Miller

Thank you for the advice.

As we are planning for the second pregnancy after IUGA in the first, we had an appointment with our doctor here. She recommended us some tests prior to trying for pregnancy and at the same time prescribed Aspirin at low doses. We did the same. We are yet to show the results to the doctor, as she is not available for next one week. The Test / Results are as follows...

1. Lupus Anticoagulant - Negative (ratio of LA Screen to LA confirm is 1.02)
2. Anti Cardiolipin Antibody IgG - Negative
3. Anti Cardiolipin Antibody IgM - Moderately Positive (35 MPL)
4. Anti Phospholipids IgM - Negative
5. Anti Phospholipid IgG - Negative
6. Factor XIII - Normal
7. Rubella Antibody IgG - 279 IU/ML.... A result greater than 10 IU/ml is considered positive
8. Protein C Clotting - 95 % (Reference range = 72 to 160%)
9. Protein S Clotting - Total Protein S - 70% and Free Protein S is 55%
10. Anti-D/S DNA (Immunofluorescence Method) - Negative
11. Anti Nuclear Antibody - Negative

Our doctor also did mention that, in case the results are positive, its better to go for some daily s/c injection of something (i could not make out the name) all through the pregnancy in addition to aspirin..which may be quite expensive.

We would definitely follow the instructions / prescriptions of our doctor. I request you or any other qualified person in this aspect to comment or give your views and advice based on these results.

I look forward to your valued comments.

regards
shyla

|