Question: is it normal for bleeding after sex

noelmarie - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:32 pm

i was on the depo shot for 4 years. my last one was in march of 2008. when i started my period again, i had it almost three weeks straight. my doctor put me on two pills to straigten it out. one was prometrium. the other doxycyclen. now that i finished the pills, i bleed for about an hour after sex. even when i don't have intercourse. is this normal, or may there be a problem.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:26 pm

While bleeding after sex is not uncommon and rarely is serious, it still should be checked out in case you have infection or some other condition. Since you are on hormonal therapy, this could be the cause. Stay in touch with your doctor to be sure he/she is aware of the symptoms you are experiencing. I suspect this will resolve on its own but if not, it may be your body signaling something you should follow up with.

|