Question: swollen left breast and darker nipple, both breasts painful

cidiera - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I am 28 years old. I usually have 5 week periods, so my period should start in about 1 week and 3 days. However, I have had mild cramping last night and this morning, but no flow, and my breasts ache, so I'm estimating about 3-4 days if they are aching for that reason (and if I had a normal cyce of 28-30 days). About four days ago, I noticed my left breast had grown in size along with the nipple in circumference. The nipple has also turned a dark purple color, and if I look really close, I can see all around the "rim" of it is very puffy. I can feel it with my finger. Compared with my right breast, it looks different. I am sexually active, and I considered the fact I might be pregnant, but nipple darkening, as I have read, doesn't happen so soon after conception. Also, I figured both breasts should be growing if I was. They are both painful, like before every other period I get...except maybe a little exaggerated this time. It is difficult for me to sleep on my stomach. I have never experienced anything like this before.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

I would probably advise watchful waiting. See if this continues or is just a one-time event prior to your period. Some things just have to have time to resolve. If it doesn't improve with the start of your period, you should definitely have it checked out. But, the fact you have had breast tenderness in the past makes me think this is likely just a variation of that. Hormones can do funny things to you, but persistent changes should be checked out.

cidiera - Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 am

I have decided to make an appointment with my doctor due to the fact that both grandmothers and my mother have had breast cancer. I doubt this is related to that, but due to my family history, I figured I shouldn't mess with it. I might be a little bit of a hypochondriac, but my mother was about my age when they discovered calcifications in her left breast, and then ten years later, she had breast cancer in the same breast. Maybe my family just has a bad-left-boob gene. :) I will update.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 am

That is an excellent plan. Family history should always be considered and extra vigilance in such cases is a good idea.

|