Question: Enlarged ovary,hot flush,PCOS,constipation,bloated ab,pain

ck85 - Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 am

Hi
I originally posted in the gastro section as thought more a gastro problem but I went yesterday for further tests and now think maybe it is a combination of several things. I am going abroad in 2 weeks and hope to visit a private hospital then but in the meantime I am worried.

I was told I had suspected PCOS maybe 8 years ago (I am 23 now) and put on the pill when I was 14. 4 years ago I had PCOS confirmed with a transvaginal ultrasound which showed left ovary 1 or 2 cysts and normal (I don't get pain with this ovary), right ovary covered in cysts.

For about 3 months now I have had pain in my abdomen getting worse. The right side especially hurts and I often get shooting pains in my right groin area, like a knife going in and twisting. I am used to this during my periods but this happens regularly now. I have had these groin pains on and off for 18months +. I had a high vaginal swab done in Sept which showed heavy growth of e.coli but I had these repeated along with bloods and everything was negative for all infections including STDs. Since then the pains are getting worse. My tummy is always bloated, quite hard. I feel tired and have fatigue and headache. I have lost my sex drive and interourse hurts in my groin area. I sometimes have vaginal discharge either stained a bit brown or normal colour but really sweet smelling and it feels dry and burning there but as said before I'm all negative for STDs. I have been on a low grade antibiotic for 2 months to treat possible interstitial cystitis so just put discharge down to yeast infection (I get often, mild, maybe 6-7 times a year as react to washing powders and soaps and my job involves being in a wetsuit in water alot of the day).

For the past month or so my bowel movements have altered. I'm usually a regular daily person but now I alternate between constipation and diarreah. I saw doctors here yesterday and had an ultrasound. All my organs came back fine, live, bowels etc but my right ovary I was told by radiologist was enlarged and had cysts, indicating PCOS. He couldn't compare with my left as it was hidden under bowel (have constipation at moment!). While the scan bit was moved over right ovary it was very painful, the same pains I have been experiencing. This has left me wondering could one of the cysts be causing the pain? I had had ultrasounds before in the area and also explorative surgery (later gall bladder removed) and never once was I told my ovary was large, just normal sized but with cysts and now yesterday the radiologist measures the ovary and says it is enlarged. Could the altered bowel movements be related or something seperate? I am a diagbosed coeliac and have problems with bowels, think IBS most of the time when I'm stressed or worried so I am probably in a bit of a cycle where I am worried about ovary pain and the worry is aggrevating my IBS symptons but I've never had the constipation before. Also I often have pain just above my pubic bone like in my bladder. Is this all connected?
 j. gregory roberts - Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:22 am

The constellation of Sxs may be "synergistic," rather than relater per se. You mentioned nothing about menstruation, so I presume that you are on O.C.s for hormonal suppression therapy ? Your CT revealing an enlarged ovary w/ cysts is not a telltale sign of abnormality. Rather, other aetiologies should be considered, both Gyn and medical/surgical diagnoses. For an IBD evaluation, serum studies w/ Prometheus Series 7 IBD markers, coupled w/ colonoscopy should be considered. Laparoscopy may be necessary to assess for possible endometriosis. Finally, you should be examined for a possible inguinal or femoral hernia with focal inguinodynia (def. inguinal or groin pain) which is an anterior abdominal wall fascial defect. What is you body habitus: thin, average or obese ? CT will not diagnose a reducible hernia, only physical examination of the groin w/ a Valsalva maneuver will suffice. I hope this helps.
 ck85 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:43 am

I have had several tests, no obvious gynae probs except the PCOS but I am being sent to a gastronenterologist. It is thought by my doc that I may have a chemical imbalance in my guts causing problems. I also have a bit of an irritable bladder since the e.coli which hasn't helped but it seems more diet related so will try that.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 am

User avatar Hi ck85,
Having gone through your post , i tend to think that your abdominal symptoms are not related to PCOS.
IBS is still a possibility if all else turns up negative. I do not know as to which part of the world you are from - as intestinal helminthic infestations or parasites (such as E.Histolytica and Giardiasis) sometime produce similar symptoms.
your profile shows that you had undergone inguinal hernia repair in 2005 and a re-exploration for stitch removal in 2006.your symptoms do not lead me to believe that they are related to this procedure.
Therefore i would settle for a diagnosis of IBS with the available history.
Thank you for your post.Good luck!

|