Question: Blocked Fallopian Tube Diagnosis

lee2009 - Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Greetings. In short my history is as follows: 1999 vaginal birth normal, years of pain and abnormal bleeding due to unknown, given different types of Birth Control Pills, continued pain during sex, exercise, normal daily activities, abnormal periods. A misdiagnosis of Endometriosis lead to surgery in 2003. The surgery started as a laperoscopy, abdomen was so full of infection, it actually squirted the surgeon (his words). Surgeon then did a laperotomy, seeing that the entire left area was infected, they removed my left fallopian tube and ovary. After continuing abdominal pain, during menstruation, sex, daily activities, had several ultrasounds, finally a Hysterosalpingogram (spelling?) was preformed. This showed the right fallopian tube is blocked. It was stated that in order to have more children, I would have to have surgery to unblock the tube.
Now, I am somewhat ok with the infertility (even though I am only 29), as my partner of 11 years is supportive of my health and issues and we do have a healthy child... more my concern and questions are:
What does this mean hormonally?
I have reduced menstrual pain with swimming activities, but sex is still sometimes painful, and every once in a while I get the really debilitating periods- can hardly walk for first two days of menses. Is this due to the blockage?
I sometimes get stabbing pains from my Left side of the abdomen- why?
Will having only one fallopian tube and ovary send me into early menopause, and now that the right is blocked what will that do?
I appreciate any answers or suggestions on these concerns. I thank you in advance for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm glad you were able to find the true source of the problems you were having so you could get the proper treatment and I'm sorry for the long-term consequences of that infection.

The blocked tube should not result in all the pain and would not affect you hormonally. It will not mean early menopause - only if both ovaries were removed would this be a concern. The only effect of this would be in the fertilization process. If you are able to get this fixed surgically (no guarantees it will work but good chance), you should be able to conceive. In Vitro fertilization would also be a possibility.

It seems you need to continue to pursue the cause of your ongoing pain. There are many organs in the abdomen, as well as the reproductive organs so your doctor would want to check everything out from gall bladder to urinary tract and everything else. In some cases the answer may never be apparent and the best you can do is manage the pain. Endometriosis could still occur even though that was not your real problem before. Staying with your doctor on this is important.

|