Question: Post Menstrual Reddish-Brown Discharge. No Odor and No Pain

ajessi1 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm 18 years old, I'm not on birth control, but I have PROTECTED* sex regularly with my boyfriend. I've always had an irregular menstrual cycle but nothing like THIS has ever happened before. I had period for the full time-about a week, then completely stopped bleeding (or so I thought). About a week later, however, i started seeing reddish-brown discharge in my panties. It doesn't flow, it's not thick, and it doesn't itch or smell bad. Only a little bit comes out but it happens continuously throughout the day. This went on for about a week, stopped for a couple days then started again. Then last night, I thought it was all gone so my boyfriend and I had sex but we had to stop because there was blood everywhere. I put a tampon on and when I woke up this morning, NOTHING was on it. Like I said before, it doesn't smell or itch but it's REALLY scaring me! What's going on?!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Breakthrough bleeding is common for women during their reproductive years, with almost all women reporting this at one time or another - sometimes frequently.

Bleeding after sex can be related to rough sex, infection, inadequate lubrication, sensitive vaginal lining, or other conditions so it should be checked out with the doctor if it continues.

You should be fine to see if it continues or stops over the next few weeks.

dyze16 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

hi I'm also coping this problem too, I'm 18 years old also, I'm not on birth control but i don't do sexually intercourse with my boyfriend and not sexually active, but we do such a weird thing which he just humps his penis out in my vagina without condom but he didn't ejaculate outside of my vagina ( i don't know if that would be called SEX and i don't know if it's possible to became pregnant for that kind of that doing), that weird humping happened on January 19th. I'm a regular menstruation cycle, i had started my period last January 6 and it finished about 6 to 7 days, now I'm shocked when i saw this brown discharge on my undies, i was worried and paranoid because this brown thingy started last night(january 21) which is not normal because it was 2 weeks ago when i finished my period!! the brown discharges comes out but doesn't flow or nor feeling pain and it also happens continuous all day, it generates on and off all day! starting at morning it comes a little but while it passes trough afternoon until night, the brown discharge that appears is escalating, it becomes more but not too much! the following day which is today (january 22) it appears also like yesterday but it stops right now on this early evening. im expecting my period this coming first week of february. i don't know whats happening?! is it normal?? or am i pregnant? this REALLY SCARES ME ALSO! IM FREAKIN OUT!! I NEED YOUR HELP!! THANKS!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm a little unclear about the sexual activity you are having. If your boyfriend is putting his penis in your vagina, this is sexual intercourse. If he ejaculates inside of you without a condom, you risk becoming pregnant. If he pulls out before ejaculating there is still a slight chance of pregnancy because of the fluid that can slip out prior to climax. If he is "humping" with clothing between you and just using the pressure of your pelvic bones, etc. pregnancy will not occur that way.

The brown discharge is considered normal and most women experience this at times. It is brown because it is old blood perhaps that did not clear out completely with your last period. This is nothing to be alarmed about.

But, if you are having this kind of relationship, it's time to talk to your doctor about an acceptable method of birth control. Condoms are adequate if you use them religiously. They also reduce your risk of sexually transmitted infections, some of which can affect you for life so being careful in this way makes lots of sense.

|