Question: Is my 12mm cyst too small to be causing so much pain?

mrsbernie - Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

My related history to this problem:
Apr 2004 - Mirena IUD inserted
Nov 2008 - Started having pain in lower abdomen area, IUD was dislodged, had removed. Went back on birth control pill for 3 months, then nothing since. Periods were heavy (7-8 days rather than 3-4 days prior to the IUD)
May 2008 - started having occasional pain again in lower abdomen.
Oct 2008 - severe pain, went to emergency. Was tested for pregnancy, negative. Thought at this time is may have been stomache or bowel related.
Seen regular Dr and sent for tests. Had Barium test (drank), results were normal.
Oct 2008 - back to emergency with servere pain. Tested for pregnancy again. Was put on birth control pills for 5 days to flush out uterus. Was sent for ultrasounds.
Nov 2008 - ultrasound results show 12mm cyst on left side. Was told this cyst was on the ultrasound that they took after the IUD was removed, but had not gone away. It had grown, rather than disappeared, but still only small. Only 1 day period in Nov, only spotting in Dec.
Jan 2009 - seen specialist and was told the cyst was too small to be causing so much pain. He said he could not feel the cyst. Supposed to see regular Dr, to be tested again for pregnancy and for a pinched nerve in the back. (Not the same pain, I've had a herniated disc before).

My symptoms include: abdominal pain/pressure left side (always dull ache to serve cramping); lower back pain (constant last two weeks, dull ache); pain in the left hip area; occasional nausea when pain is really bad; weight gain (10-15lbs over last 3 months); tiredness and occasional shortness of breath; pain when bowel is full (like it puts pressure on lower left side, no pain while excavating); leg aches (top of legs) and pelvic area aches.

Is this cyst really too small to cause so much pain? My friend almost died from a tubal pregnancy, could this be happening even with a negative pregnancy test?

I am to be scheduled for a larposcopy but I'm not sure what to do in the mean time. I am getting played out! I thought the cyst was the main problem, but now I'm not so sure. I am missing more and more work over this pain. I am only taking Tylenol for pain, but these upset my stomache so I only take them when the pain is severe.
The standard wait time for a larposcopy is 6 weeks, if the pain continues to get worse, I don't think I will be able to wait that long.

I thank you for your time and consideration.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Each person experiences pain differently of course so it can be hard to diagnose based on level of pain. The laparoscopy will probably determine if you might also have some endometriosis which can cause much pain and is hard to diagnose.

Ectopic pregnancy usually shows up 8 - 10 weeks after a missed period and the pregnancy test is always positive in these cases.

I hope you get some relief while waiting for your procedure. You might ask the doctor if they could consider you in case of an earlier cancellation.

mrsbernie - Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Thank you, I'll see if I can go in case of a cancellation.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 am

User avatar You are welcome. Let us know what you find out.

Debbie

|