Question: detached pelvic floor muscle

saggymum - Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:03 pm

I visited my GP because I was unable to keep a 'moon-cup' in place (kind of re-useable tampon that you rinse out). I have no incontinence problems. I've had 2 children, very quick vaginal deliveries with tearing, both full-term under 7lb (now aged 13 and 11). I saw a women's physio who said my vaginal walls don't meet up, probably damage from childbirth. She gave me instructions on how to do pelvic floor exercises (I hadn't been doing them properly before), then she re-assessed me 2 months later. Apparently the muscle at the lower/outer end of my vagina is working well, but nothing is happening at the top/inner end - the muscle seems to be detached.
She suggested it might be worth trying electrical stimulation, but apparently the devices sold in the UK aren't suitable for me, because the electrodes aren't in the right place. Is it possible to regain the muscle ability if it is detached? I'm a bit confused about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 rosebec - Thu May 28, 2009 12:30 am

Saggymum,

Accoring to research, if the pelvic floor muscle is denervated as a result of substantial nerve injury then it may not be possible to rehabilitate the muscle sufficiently to make pelvic exercises (kegel) an effective strategy. Some types of surgery combined with medication really do help longterm. TVT or bladder sling are types of surgery. My best bet is to consult witha urologist or urogynecologist. Best of luck to you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 28, 2009 7:51 pm

User avatar Hi saggymum,
Pelvic floor or Kegle exercises work well for pelvic floor strengthening but there are occasions as in your case where there are actual detachments rather than weakening. There is a laproscopic procedure that can repair tears that occur at the bony pelvis due to trauma from childbirth. Laproscopic surgery involves a small incision with minimal recovery time. I would strongly suggest that you inqure with your physician regarding this option if the others prove unsuccessful. I hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes!
 KKBCabales, RN - Sun May 31, 2009 8:52 pm

good day!
the previous responses given to you by my co-health workers were all agreeable.
the famous kegel's exercise would always be the first to recommend to you because FIRST, it was easy to do, SECOND, you can do it anywhere and anytime.
it is important to have your pelvic muscle strengthen in order to avoid urinary incontinence as well as the reduced feeling of satisfaction when you and your husband does the intimate thing.
KEgel's exercise is the method wherein you have to imagine that you are about to void then try to stop it in passing it out. in doing this you must feel that your pelvic muscles are tightening. in this exercise you must be comfortable and avoid holding your breath and/or tighten your stomach, legs and thighs at the same time. it is better to contract your pelvic muscles about 10-15times in a row but also don't over do it.
others also does the tailor sitting exercise, where you'll sat on the floor with legs crossed and place your both hands on your legs and try to press it down till you feel your muscles tighten..
in a weeks or so, you must feel changes in your pelvic floor like increased or enhanced sensitivity to sex and stronger orgasms.
hope this may add up to you.
good day!

|