Question: Severe left, lower pelvic pain along with kidney pain

November18 - Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm in tears I'm in so much pain, I don't know what to do. I don't really trust my doctor after she diagnosed me with a UTI on Dec 23rd, which ended up not being a UTI at all and I ended up in the hospital with kidney pain. If you don't mind reading and maybe giving me some insight, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm 22 years old. The past 4-6 weeks, I've been getting random bouts of feeling nauseaus, really sick to my stomach. It's debilitating. And every night it seems, I get this really horrible, tear-jerking pain in my left pelvic area - I think it's where my ovary is? - kind of down diagonally from my hipbone - that is just unbearable. Stabbing, throbbing, sharp and brutal. Sometimes it lasts a couple of hours and eventually kind of subsides, sometimes it comes back just as painful, but man, while it's happening, it just feels like something is very, very wrong.

I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago (Dec 28th) for kidney problems. The ER doc said I have very small stones, but that he wasn't worried about them and they aren't in my kidneys (I have a history of kidney stones), and he just really confused me (he was very vague) I had the CAT scan which showed the stones, he treated me for an infection that he wasn't even sure that I had (he ran blood tests, including STD tests, which were negative) gave me an antibiotic, had the nurse put more Morphine in my IV because the pain wasn't going away, and sent me home with some Darvocet and an antibiotic. I thought it was odd that he put me on a strong antibiotic without even really knowing if I had an infection or what specifically it was. But I was sleepy from the Morphine, it was 3am, and I was in so much pain that I just did what I was told.

Anyway, here I am, in tears because it hurts so badly. My kidneys, especially the left one, still hurt, and this horrible ovary pain is almost unbearable. I'm also running a low-grade fever, about 99.9 degrees. The only thing that seems to help a little is a heating pad on my pelvis, but it doesn't make it go away, just relaxes it a little. It's just so frustrating because I've been seeing doctors and they all keep saying..UTI, bladder infection, or they don't say anything and give me medications, so I take what they give me, and it still hurts so bad, it doesn't go away. I'm so tired of going to appts to be told...nothing. And, just in case you were wondering - I'm not pregnant. No STDs. and about a week and a half from starting.

Oh. I saw my ob-gyn not long ago and my pap came back as "abnormal." They didn't tell me what that meant, they just said come back in 6 months.

If you have any insight at all, I would be so very appreciative.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Ongoing, unexplained pain can be very frustrating as well as interfering with your life activities.

First I will address the pap. Abnormal results mean some cells showed up which are sometimes temporary. Repeating the test in six months is standard to see if it is still that way later. If so, additional screenings may be needed to determine the next step. This would not in any way be related to the pain you are currently experiencing.

As for the UTI - this is the same system as the kidney so it makes sense to treat a UTI even though it had actually already traveled to the kidney area. At the point the doctor prescribed the UTI treatment it was probably not apparent yet that there was kidney involvement. This of course can account for much pain, especially when stones are involved.

You may be having several overlapping problems. You may have ovulatory pain or ovarian cysts. Your gynecologist should be able to evaluate this when you return for the follow up pap, unless you need to go sooner. Other causes of abdominal pain could include endometriosis and this can be hard to diagnose. You should ask your doctor about it anyway.

To complicate things, there are many organs in the abdomen that can cause pain, sometimes referred from another location even. With so much to evaluate it is not surprising it can take a while to locate the source of the pain. Process of elimination is how it's usually done. Stay with your doctor, especially the gynecologist, and ask whatever questions you have. Explanation is part of their job so if you still don't understand, keep asking.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

|