Question: is fluid in cul de sac endometriosis?

rupi - Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:02 am

hi
for past 1 month i have a major pain in pelvic portion,my ultrasound shows fluid in my cul de sac. i have painful periods also. what exactly does this mean? can it be endometriosis?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

I believe a small amount of free fluid in the "cul de sac" may be due to a ruptured cyst and is a relatively normal finding. This would not suggest endometriosis but the pain could be a symptom of it. More testing would be necessary to diagnose this and sometimes it can only be positively verified by laparascopic evaluation.

rupi - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 am

hi,
my doctor says that this fluid is a infection in the pelvis,i still have pain...i really need to know how this leproscope diagnosis works and do i have to go under a operation?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 am

It is a surgery, usually involving general anesthesia, but can be done with a local instead. The abdomen is inflated with a carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide gas, through a needle. This allows the organs to move away from the abdominal wall for visibility by the surgeon. A laparoscope is inserted through a small incision allowing the doctor to examine the internal organs. Sometimes additional incisions may be used for better viewing. 30 to 45 minutes would be typical for this procedure.

If there is endometriosis or scar tissue, your surgeon will cut it out or destroy it with a laser beam or electric current, then the incisions are closed with stitches and scarring is minimal.

Remember, this is only if endometriosis is the diagnosis. I cannot say if this is the case, but merely explain the procedure in case it is. Your pain could be caused by a cyst or other abdominal problem. There are many organs in the abdomen so several possible causes of pain. I am glad you are under the care of a physician. Keep the doctor informed of your ongoing pain and ask the next plan of action for finding the cause. Sometimes they must do a process of elimination in order to find the offender.

|