News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: is fluid in cul de sac endometriosis?

rupi - Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:02 am

hi
for past 1 month i have a major pain in pelvic portion,my ultrasound shows fluid in my cul de sac. i have painful periods also. what exactly does this mean? can it be endometriosis?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

User avatar Hello,

I believe a small amount of free fluid in the "cul de sac" may be due to a ruptured cyst and is a relatively normal finding. This would not suggest endometriosis but the pain could be a symptom of it. More testing would be necessary to diagnose this and sometimes it can only be positively verified by laparascopic evaluation.

Best wishes.
 rupi - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 am

hi,
my doctor says that this fluid is a infection in the pelvis,i still have pain...i really need to know how this leproscope diagnosis works and do i have to go under a operation?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 am

User avatar Hello,
It is a surgery, usually involving general anesthesia, but can be done with a local instead. The abdomen is inflated with a carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide gas, through a needle. This allows the organs to move away from the abdominal wall for visibility by the surgeon. A laparoscope is inserted through a small incision allowing the doctor to examine the internal organs. Sometimes additional incisions may be used for better viewing. 30 to 45 minutes would be typical for this procedure.

If there is endometriosis or scar tissue, your surgeon will cut it out or destroy it with a laser beam or electric current, then the incisions are closed with stitches and scarring is minimal.

Remember, this is only if endometriosis is the diagnosis. I cannot say if this is the case, but merely explain the procedure in case it is. Your pain could be caused by a cyst or other abdominal problem. There are many organs in the abdomen so several possible causes of pain. I am glad you are under the care of a physician. Keep the doctor informed of your ongoing pain and ask the next plan of action for finding the cause. Sometimes they must do a process of elimination in order to find the offender.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here