Question: inflammatory response against fetus?

bljones72 - Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Hello. I just found out that I am pregnant...4 weeks. I miscarried 6 months ago with my first pregnancy. For about the last 5-6 days, I have daily felt achy and almost feverish with not a single other symptom of illness. Unfortunately, I am a resident physician...armed with enough knowledge in this area (I only work above the clavicles) to be dangerous and to make myself worry incessantly. I feel like I've got a bunch of circulating cytokines...just like at the beginning of a cold. So I did a pubmed search on cytokines and early pregnancy, and discovered that this is a big area of research...and that a big inflammatory response against the invading conceptus could be related to early miscarriage. So, my questions are 2: 1) is it common in early pregnancy to feel this way? 2) would a baby aspirin a day help to decrease the inflammatory response without hurting the baby? thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 pm

User avatar Hello Bljones72,

Welcome to the world of knowing too much. The symptoms you are feeling may be from a developing cold or may simply be due to the pregnancy itself. I would recommend, as much as possible for you, not to worry too much about this. These symptoms certainly do not mean that you are inevitably heading for a miscarriage.

I would not recommend taking a baby aspirin a day. Aspirin, in general, is contraindicated in pregnancy. If it needs to be used I would recommend doing so only under the direct supervision of a hematologist or obstetrician knowledgeable about the use of aspirin for anticoagulation in pregnancy.

Best wishes and enjoy your residency. It's a great time (busy but fun).
 bljones72 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Thank you, Dr. Lowe. I've calmed down a little...for the time being...at least until the next worry-inducing bit of minutia. Still having daily achiness but still pregnant, too. I appreciate your time.

|