Question: LGSIL (HPV)

YukiNC - Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 am

I took a Pap Smear test and got the result with LGSIL (HPV).

Does it mean I have HPV definitely even if I don't find anything in gential area?

Will LGSIL and HPV be able to cure?

Is HPV a kind of STD? If so, if it means that I am infected with STD and become a life STD carrier?

Once cured, how can I prevent HPV will not breakout again and spread to my sexual partner? Or I can't have sexual activities since then?

What are the possible consequence of LGSIL and HPV affecting me and my life?

What do I need to take care regarding that?

I had anal sex also. What else of tests do I need to take?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:03 pm

This is an abnormal result of the pap smear and the reason we have these screenings is because it is not apparent to the naked eye. Finding it early allows the best possible treatment and you will likely have a recommendation to return for further testing.

HPV is considered a sexually transmitted infection and it is not curable but a healthy immune system will usually clear it on its own within a couple of years. However, abnormal lesions such as warts can be removed.

It is possible your partner could already be infected, especially if you have been sexually active together for a while, but since this does not carry the risk to men that it does to women (some strains cause cancer), there is no test available for him. Most men will have no symptoms from this; some will develop genital warts, which are treated by various methods of removal.

This is a very common form of STI and a monogamous, faithful relationship helps prevent the spread of the disease.

Your doctor should thoroughly explain your test results to you so if your questions have not been answered as to the medical treatment plan and recommendations, you should go back in for this discussion.

|