News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: LGSIL (HPV)

YukiNC - Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 am

I took a Pap Smear test and got the result with LGSIL (HPV).

Does it mean I have HPV definitely even if I don't find anything in gential area?

Will LGSIL and HPV be able to cure?

Is HPV a kind of STD? If so, if it means that I am infected with STD and become a life STD carrier?

Once cured, how can I prevent HPV will not breakout again and spread to my sexual partner? Or I can't have sexual activities since then?

What are the possible consequence of LGSIL and HPV affecting me and my life?

What do I need to take care regarding that?

I had anal sex also. What else of tests do I need to take?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is an abnormal result of the pap smear and the reason we have these screenings is because it is not apparent to the naked eye. Finding it early allows the best possible treatment and you will likely have a recommendation to return for further testing.

HPV is considered a sexually transmitted infection and it is not curable but a healthy immune system will usually clear it on its own within a couple of years. However, abnormal lesions such as warts can be removed.

It is possible your partner could already be infected, especially if you have been sexually active together for a while, but since this does not carry the risk to men that it does to women (some strains cause cancer), there is no test available for him. Most men will have no symptoms from this; some will develop genital warts, which are treated by various methods of removal.

This is a very common form of STI and a monogamous, faithful relationship helps prevent the spread of the disease.

Your doctor should thoroughly explain your test results to you so if your questions have not been answered as to the medical treatment plan and recommendations, you should go back in for this discussion.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here