Question: spotting, irregular periods, irritation, negative pregnancy

babyplanning - Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am

I am a 33 years old female, married since 3 years. Have never had sexual relationship with anyone except my husband since we started dating. We both were virgin when we started dating.

We have been trying to conceive since few months but with no particular reasons, not getting positive results. I have been having irregular periods since i started getting periods. I was 14 when i got my first period and my second period was after a gap of 4 months. Then the gap started decreasing but sometimes my periods are more than 1.5 months and sometimes it's just a month. I am confused.

I have had white discharge always. Before 2 years or so, i had this uncontrollable irritation outside my vagina and went to see a lady doctor who prescribed a tube through which it got controlled. I applied it as directed by the doctor for a week. After that i didn't have such irritation. For the last one year, i and my husband are trying to have a baby and we don't use condoms anymore. We never used any contraceptives other than condoms before.

I have white discharge after periods. Also in the middle of periods i have spotting which is light brown in color. I do get irritation sometimes. But it's not that intense. My husband's fertility report is normal. My uterus sonogram showed some white spots on borders and the laboratory professional suggested that it is vaginal infection. What can be the reason for not getting pregnant?

Please help. I am frustrated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Everything you describe sounds normal with the exception of the possible infection that should be checked out. Irregular periods are common unless you are taking hormonal birth control pills which artificially regulate the hormones rather than allowing the normal fluctuation many women experience.

I believe you are saying that you have not been using contraception for one year, or is it a few months. I'm a little confused because you said you were trying to conceive for a few months.

In a healthy, fertile young woman having regular sexual intercourse, pregnancy usually occurs within a year of trying. But in a certain percentage it can take a bit longer without anything being wrong. It's a bit of a gamble, this conception thing. Nature is complicated and everything must be right. It's a wonder there are so many unplanned pregnancies when you really think about it.

If you see your doctor about the possible infection, this would be a good time to schedule a preconception visit where your doctor can evaluate all systems to see if anything needs to be corrected before you conceive. Tell him what you have done so far in your attempt at pregnancy.

The midcycle discharge most likely indicates you are ovulating and these are symptoms that sometimes accompany ovulation. Some women become so attuned to their body that they know the variation in secretions and can tell when they become thicker, indicating fertility times.

Good luck with your efforts here.

|