Question: R506Q factor v leinden(pregnant)

pinkbunny - Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi, i have been trying to get pregnant i took 3 hpt which came out very very very faint positive so i went to family doc just to make sure it was right, family doc did blood work and said yes you are pregnant..i was soo excited! so i made an appt to see my obgyn, while waiting for the obgyn appt, i woke up on the 24th of dec. with very bad cramps and bleeding, it was bright red, i bled that day for about 4 hrs all together. as soon as i started bleeding i went to er and they did blood work and hcg level was five, so therefore i must of had a miscarriage. well i was only about 3 weeks pregnant on the 24th of dec. could the doc have been wrong because its been 3 weeks since miscarriage and still no period, my breast are just know beginning to get sore which means if still preg i would be about 6 weeks i have heart burn and constipation and major headaces and gassy. so again my question is could i still be pregnant? when will i start period if not? obgyn also found in blood work that i have factor v leinden R506Q she said when i found out im pregnant again to contact her asap and she is going to call in a blood thinner for me to take the whole time im pregnant..is that safe for the baby? im worried and concerned! please help! i need some advice, in the mean time while im trying to concieve (if not still pregnant) she has me taken prenatal vitamins with stool softner in it calcium pill and baby aspirin, she still wants me to take all 3 meds along with ablood thinner when i get pregnant again is it safe and how safe, and how many women have done this with this same blood disorder and what is the outcome of a healthy baby??? thank you soo much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 am

Many miscarriages occur very early - even before you know you are pregnant. It is unlikely you still are at this point with the low hcg level. However, you could have become pregnant again since then.

You are getting excellent advice from your doctor and the blood thinners used for factor V Leiden are safe in pregnancy. They do not prescribe the ones that are harmful and they can make the difference in your ability to carry a baby to term.

Doing as your doctor suggests now is your best chance at a healthy pregnancy. Be patient and good luck.

Best wishes

|