Question: occasional pain in left breast for years

hopeful25 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:49 am

I have been having a pain in my left breast and/or chest which comes and goes. I have this pain since the age of 15 and I am currently 25 years old. Earlier the pain used to be only once or twice a year, now it is very frequent (once to twice a month). I have not yet consulted a doctor for this. During regular medical checkups, my ECG showed signs of myocardinal ischemia. Could this pain be related to the heart or is it something to do with the breast only? Do I need to visit a doctor?
The pain is worse when I bend down. It is just a sharp pain which feels like something blasted in my breast. It stays for a minute and then goes off. Please advise.
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm sorry you are suffering from this uncomfortable condition. Unfortunately it is quite common and usually seems to often be related to hormones since it often goes with the menstrual cycle and usually disappears with menopause.

There have been reports of medications causing such sensitivity but since yours has gone on so long and you haven't mentioned antidepressants, etc. I doubt this is the case for you.

Another theory is imbalance of fatty acids within the cells effecting circulating hormones. Some people get relief with evening primrose oil capsules. Evening primrose oil contains gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a type of fatty acid. GLA is thought to restore the fatty acid balance and decrease the sensitivity of breast tissue to circulating hormone levels. It can't hurt.

You might benefit from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, birth control pills or other prescription medications so consulting with your doctor is a good idea.

I would not be suspicious of the heart problem being the cause of this pain but ask your doctor about it anyway because if it is something like angina, medications can treat these symptoms.

|